The best port of departure to your Italian ancestors' adventure
Italian Inmigration - to America - to Australia - in the United Kingdom
- Italian migration 1850-1900 - Tracing one's ancestors can be easy or it can be quite a chore, depending upon the quality of record keeping associated with the locations in which one's family members have lived.
- Italian Migration Movements, 1876 to 1926
- Italian Diaspora - Wikipedia
- Italian Immigration: Why So Many Italians Live Outside Italy
- Belgium, Antwerp Police Immigration Index, 1840-1930 - This index provides a reference to immigration dossiers compiled by the Antwerp police force between 1840 and 1930. Presently, the immigration dossiers are only available on microfilm. Files may contain documents from a later period. Includes family name, given name, birthdate, residence, nationality, and occupation. We can find many Italians emigrated first to Belgium and then to America.
- The Italian Immigrant Experience in America (1870-1920) by
Joan Rapczynski - Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute -
The year 1871 is considered a starting point for mass migration from southern Italy. In this year, Italy had become a unified nation with a democratic constitution, however, the south had not reaped any economic benefit from this development. Conditions had actually gotten worse.The Italian peasant was not the only one who suffered from the general poverty of the south. Skilled workers could no longer find employment.
Thousands of men left their families behind to find work in America. Both my grandfathers left Italy at age 16.They hoped to find work in America as stonemasons and send money home to their families as soon as possible. Like many young men they had learned their trade by working along side their fathers at a very early age.
The majority of immigrants around the turn of the century were males between the ages of 24 and 45. Many expected to stay in the United States only long enough to earn money to improve their family situation. Others intended to send for their families as soon as they could.
- Italian immigration to Argentina
- Immigration: The Italians - A brief history of Italian immigration to the United States.
- Italy Emigration and Immigration - Finding the Emigrant’s Town of Origin. Emigration From Italy. Passenger Lists. Other Records of Departure
- Italian Immigration to America - 1850s
- The Story of Italian Immigration
- Passenger Lists of Ships Arriving in US Ports
- Immigrants in the Land of Promise: Italians in Buenos Aires and New York City, 1870 to 1914
- Italian Australian - Italians have been arriving in Australia in a limited number since the last decades of the eighteenth century. Nevertheless, it is only since 1869 that the country witnessed the arrival of a number of educated individuals who had left Italy for non-economic reasons, such as missionaries, musicians, artists, professionals and businesspeople. Read More...
History of immigration from Italy - Museum Victoria Australia
Italian Migration To Australia - Italian migration to Australia in the late 19th century and much of the 20th century was fueled by the same factors that drove Italians to the Americas - political upheaval and poor economic conditions at home. But changes in the US immigration policy had a direct effect on the flow to Australian shores.
- Records about people who've come to Australia - National Archives of Australia
- Immigration into Australia: Online Indexes and Passenger Lists
Italians in the United Kingdom
- Italian Migration to Nineteenth Century Britain: Why and Where
- Italian Scots - Wikipedia Italian - Scots or Scots-Italians are an ethnic minority of Italian descent living in Scotland. These terms may refer to people who are born in Scotland and of Italian descent. It can also refer to people of both Scottish and Italian descents.